Sunday, September 18, 2011

Authentication methods are not supported by server - bug in Android 3.2 email client

I recently picked up an Asus Eee Pad Transformer which I am having some fun with.  I was stuck last night, however, on an annoying Honeycomb glitch which prevented me from setting up my email.  After entering the outgoing settings, the setup would refuse to finish, giving the error message described above.  The solution is simple: before unticking the checkbox about requiring authentication, you need to clear the username and password fields that have been automatically filled in for you.  THEN untick the checkbox and continue.  That's it!

11 comments:

  1. You're the man. I've been fighting this Xoom for an hour now and you're the only one that seems to have posted the solution to this simple (but annoying bug). Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric

    I'm having the same problem on my Xoom, which I bought yesterday. Please tell me how you got yours to work.

    In setting up my POP3 account, I set up incoming with my username and password and use port 110, then on the next page "Outgoing server settings" I put in my outgoing mail server, security none, set port to 25, and uncheck Require sign-in.

    There is no field for username and password on the Xoom outgoing server settings (unless I'm totally missing it). So how do you do what the post here suggests on a Xoom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the man as. The fileds for user name and password are behind your keyboard. Tick the box, scroll up, delete then untick and bingo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great! i was wasted 2 days for a simple thinks.
      attila

      Delete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Zach, this is the single most helpful thing I've found in a long time. I spent a frustrating hour (for both of us) with my service provider tech support to no avail. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS! WORKED IMMEDIATELY AFTER DOING! BEEN FIGURIN' OUT FOR 15MINS UNTIL I CAME ACROSS THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!! days of fighting with this are finally over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Worked for me too on a new Google Nexus. Nice One!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worked for me but my outgoing mails are stucked in outbox. Any solution?

    ReplyDelete
  9. u are the MAN, it worked. ur a life saver. Thanx man.

    ReplyDelete